Skip to content

New bikes from Biomega

I usually like the work of Ross Lovegrove, or at the very least I usually find his sculptural designs interesting. The clean, organic forms of his product and furniture designs are often pretty clever and original. That is why I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw his first bicycle design for Biomega, the Bamboo. Lovegrove’s latest design for Biomega though, called the LDN (short for London), looks a lot more like something I would expect from him. Overall, the form is not groundbreaking, but I like the way the shaft drive nestles into the carbon chainstay.  The hole in the frame lightens the bike’s mass and, according to the company, provides a detail for hanging the bike on a wall for storage. Like it or not, you have to admit that this one finally looks like a Lovegrove bike.

The other new bike from Biomega, the NYC, was designed by KiBiSi, a design firm co-founded by Biomega founder, Jens Martin Skibsted. The bike is similar in styling to their CPH model, but it features a carbon belt drive and an integrated front mudguard in the shape of the aluminum downtube.

The LDN bicycle will be displayed next month at the SHOWHOW design exhibition in Tent London (September 23rd to 26th 2010) and both new bikes will be presented at the Eurobike and Interbike shows in September.

Update: Read the full Biomega press release about these two bikes over at Cyclelicious.

Posted in Commuter.

Tagged with , , , .

11 Responses

1. andy says

That hole surely doesn’t make up for the added weight from the beefy frame and shaft drive which will add a few pounds each.

• James T says

I think they are probably referring to the visual mass of the frame in this case.

• andy says

Ah yes, usually when I read “mass” I think weight, but being a design blog that makes a bit more sense. You know, my couch has a lot of visual mass too, can they design me one with a hole is the back?

• James T says

That sounds like a DIY project to me. Do you have a sawzall?

2. Ross Nicholson says

Perhaps they will seal helium into the interior for inflated fairings?

3. Juliano says

Hey folks, I think you do not speak Portuguese, but you’ll probably understand the message of the video ” a frame made with 200 PET bottles”

It’s would be a great partnership between Mr. Lovegrove (Biomega) and Mr. Muzzi

I suggest new monocoque frames!

4. Gary says

Will either of these two new bikes be made available with the new Shimano 11 speed internal hub?

5. Elizabeth Bairami says

We are looking for a reference/maintanence manual for our Biomega Copenhagen bike.
    We will appreciate any help and suggestions.

Continuing the Discussion

1. Over the hump » Cyclelicious linked to this post on August 25, 2010

[...] Design provides some intelligent commentary on Biomega’s new LDN bike [...]

2. Biomega LDN & NYC, commutters urbains danois, Weelz.fr Le 1er Magazine Web du Vélo Urbain, Vélo de ville linked to this post on December 21, 2010

[...] Bicycle Design. > Les vélos urbains PUMA par [...]

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.