1. Alex May 26, 2015 at 6:02 pm -  Reply

“Setting aside the helmet at the station” would be great in most countries, but Matthew probably included the ‘feature’ because of Australia’s law requiring cyclists to wear helmets. I’m sure most customers of this rental system would rather have a lockable case to carry the stuff that most people have with them, on or off the bike . . .

2. adrian May 26, 2015 at 6:19 pm -  Reply

He includes a helmet because they are mandatory in Melbourne. That alone is sufficient to doom any bike share scheme to failure.

• James Thomas May 27, 2015 at 11:34 am -  Reply

Adrain and Alex, thanks for the information. Now it makes sense why he included it in the project. I almost always wear a helmet when I ride, but I agree that mandatory helmet laws for adult cyclists are generally a terrible idea. Requiring the use of a helmet is a good way to discourage bike share, and bicycling in general. It that the case in other parts of Australia as well?

3. Impossibly Stupid May 26, 2015 at 6:44 pm -  Reply

Funny, but the inclusion of a helmet system was the part I found incredibly silly! Even though I always wear a helmet when I bike, the reality is that I’m seldom in any situation where it would need to do its job. For bike shares, what is the reality of the dangers involved? Puttering around at 10mph for 10 minutes every once in a while doesn’t really call for an elaborate headgear solution. I’d want gloves before I wanted a helmet in most casual riding situations.

I do like the idea of docks on electric poles. But custom-everything-else is, as always, a huge unnecessary expense that ensures things like this never succeed.

• James Thomas May 27, 2015 at 11:41 am -  Reply

I don’t know the reality of the dangers involved, but I do know that the perception of danger prevents some people from using bike share when they do not have a helmet available. In regards to our local B-Cycle system, lack of available helmets is one of the most common criticisms from the general public. Personally, I have used bike share systems around the world without a helmet, but (here in the US at least) it is an issue to consider if it is truly limiting the use of the systems. Maybe just a vending machine at stations with cheap styrofoam helmets would suffice for the percentage of people who feel more comfortable knowing they have a helmet on for those slow, short trips.

• Impossibly Stupid May 28, 2015 at 7:11 pm -  Reply

“In regards to our local B-Cycle system, lack of available helmets is one of the most common criticisms from the general public.”

People fabricate all sorts of excuses when it comes to avoiding expending an ounce of effort. I wager good money that if you supplied them with helmets, they’d just move the goal post on to the next excuse.

4. Why helmets May 27, 2015 at 5:13 pm -  Reply

Matthews designed something pretty cool if, however, in that completely impractical space most industrial designers live in. Still some good thought..
    But why all the focus on helmets? Do you all just like the sound of your own voices? It’s the same old wicked problem sitting in that space between public good and personal choice.
    He qualified its for Melbourne where helmets are law. If you don’t like helmets, set up a petition change.org
    Nice stuff Matthew!

5. Bike Dad May 28, 2015 at 7:41 am -  Reply

Prototype of Harvolt electric share bike by Matthew Harding is very impressive. I like the creative idea he used for bike safety. I believe by using such technique people can actually reduce bike stealing. Matthew you’ve come up with really good design.

6. Brian Hill August 13, 2015 at 7:27 pm -  Reply

Nice concept. For those responding on the designs inclusion of the helmet, this is a mandated national regulation in Australia, not just Melbourne. All bike riders must wear a standards approved helmet, or face fines. Creating a rental helmet is fraught with problems, like: How do I ensure helmet Fit? How do I access a hygienic helmet Liner? How hard are the straps to adjust? Matthew has proposed an interesting option to address part of the problem, but there’s a bigger set of challenges with helmet hire..