Skip to content

15 Responses

1. Peter Stull says

George did a great job, I don’t remember any discomfort when I ride it! See original picture here: http://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/greenspeed/images/greenspeed_GT3_lg.jpg

2. art says

It’s an interesting idea, but I don’t see how the rider gets in and out. Also, the fairing only protects from weather coming from above. The rider is still going to get blasted by spray from the front tires.

• George says

Hi, At the moment the whole screen lifts up but I have been looking at having a smaller section of the screen lift up. As for the spray from the front wheels (when turning) you have a very good point. It will require some front mudguards.

3. Peter Mazurowski says

Nice Job on the design. I’m glad to see it sits up higher than most trikes. Riding on streets at wheel level terrifies me.

4. Harley says

Looks like a great concept. Many of the advantages of a velomobile but it would cetainly cost less. Any plans for commercial development?

5. Jim says

George

I am keen to meet you to discuss putting this into short run production

Jim

6. Paul Worden says

Incorporate an angle sensor that feeds power to the drive wheel according to the gradient and add a calibrated pot for the rider to dial up the ‘virtual weight’ of the trike. The rider can then choose the apparent ‘weight’ of the trike so that the rider exercises as if the trike was not power assisted. The trike can then behave as if it has zero weight, the 7 kg weight of a road bike, the 14 kg weight of a touring bike or the 20 kg of this HPV. I believe this is a patentable idea but I don’t have the resources to do this.

• Peter Stull says

Paul, Interesting idea. When you accelerate the angle sensor would assume you are climbing and put on more power, an neat side affect. Also, I’m no patent lawyer but it may not be patentable 12 months after it has now been publicly disclosed.

• Paul Worden says

No Peter, not accelleration.

The sensor measures the slope of the road and increases power proportionately to counteract the gradient. Tilt sensors are off the shelf components used in every smart phone.

• Peter Stull says

A friend of mine worked designing accelerometers for video games. I think the same technology is used for the tilt sensor used in smartphones. I don’t think a sensor can easily tell tilt from acceleration and I think this improves the function of the electric trike.

• Paul Worden says

The iBike power meter uses tilt plus air speed and other factors like weight and rolling resistance to establish the power produced by the rider. The gross gradient of a road changes slowly, whereas accelleration occurs over short time spans. I believe the two can be separated easily.

My Garmin GPS does a fair job of measuring gradient and I believe it uses atmospheric pressure change over time/distance but I’m unsure of that. It’s repeatable for a given location. I suppose the thrust (!) of my idea is that exercise is beneficial and relying totally on a motor doesn’t require exercise. So a vehicle that requires human power input is a more healthy alternative than a self propelled vehicle. Given a choice a lot of people won’t exercise as evidenced by the reluctance of motorists to walk 100 metres rather than pay for parking.

Some people are frail and can’t put out 100 watts. A vehicle with an adjustable ‘weight’ setting but with the minimum of a light road bike would make riders put out some effort.

But then we get to marketing. Once again, it’s likely that sloth would win out and there would be no sales.

I guess the market for HPVs is to people who already have a healthier mindset.

But I fully support this design. It’s attractive and practical. The tilt feature for fairings is already commercially available from Windwrap and Mueller fairings. I’ve owned trikes. The big disadvantage that I see is ‘masking’ by larger vehicles in traffic. Years ago Bob Stuart design an HPV with a large fin at the rear (and a semi circular wing fairing.) The fin contained a light array and was visible from the side. For discussion on almost every conceivable HPV head to http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whatsup.htm

The HPV community generally may be an uncomfortable place for engineers :) There’s a lot of misinformation but always enthusiasm.

• Peter Stull says

I think the tilt sensor idea is great and may be a simpler way to do almost what Bionx does with a strain gauge in the rear hub..

Continuing the Discussion

1. E-Bike News: Lightweight Carbon Diavelo, Haibike E-MTB Video, ELF Stories, New Bosch Kits, E-Bike Pizza Delivery, & More! [VIDEOS] | Electric Bike Report | Electric Bike, Ebikes, Electric Bicycles, E Bike, Reviews linked to this post on August 6, 2013

[…] While we are talking about recumbent electric trikes, checkout this futuristic design from George Cooper. […]

2. News Bites — Bike Around Bend linked to this post on August 27, 2013

[…] Industral Design graduate creates an E Trike geared to those who don’t cycle […]

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.