An e-bike for Deutsche Post by Luke Guttery

Concept, Electric bike, Utility / Cargo Bike 14 2488

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “An e-bike for Deutsche Post by Luke Guttery”.

1. Vincent March 4, 2013 at 2:49 pm -  Reply

I think that Luke is right, Grace belongs now to MIFA, and their bike factory shouldn’t have anything comparable, at least in Europe (I let Luke responsable for his saying for the rest of the world!). The smart ebike also comes out there, Daimler had probably good reasons to choose them.
    This would be great to see such finest design for the postal service. The hard specification makes them interesting products. I’m looking forward also!

2. Impossibly Stupid March 4, 2013 at 6:55 pm -  Reply

One noticeable difference between the concepts and the actual bikes seems to be having front “panniers” that are attached to the frame instead of the fork. Makes me wonder how long it took before they listened to someone who has actually tried to ride with an overloaded front wheel! :-)

I do like the containerization approach. Allows for very flexible management of the sorting/delivery of the letters. The logistics behind their efforts are probably as interesting as the bikes themselves.

• Prof.Prodromal April 6, 2015 at 3:59 pm -  Reply

I believe that the steering fork could be a bit steeper also. I have a lot of experience of building cargo bikes that carry heavy weights on the front end.

3. padd March 5, 2013 at 3:31 am -  Reply

I used one of the older postbikes for a while:
    The stand attached to the front rack worked amazingly well. Because it rotated up and backwards you could kick it down with your feet before the bike stopped. Why has Luke given up on that concept?

• fritz December 14, 2013 at 11:39 am -  Reply

hi there, i am about to purchase a used postbike, wich doesent have battery and charger anymore. the current owner is a pretty old lady and she has no idea of the technical data of the motor. according to the received pictures it looks like the same generation which you used to ride. so i would be grateful if you could maybe give me some info in the technical data of the motor? (or a hint where i could find such?) thanks a lot in advance, fritz

• Prof.Prodromal April 6, 2015 at 3:55 pm -  Reply

If you live in Europe you are probably limited to a one third HP motor. move to america, where you can use at least one full HP, more in Washington state.

4. Luke March 6, 2013 at 2:13 pm -  Reply

Hi there, many thanks for your comments on my work.
    Padd, we took a lot of inspiration from the old work horse that you used to use :-) . I am afraid to say I did nto have much to do with the kick stand. By this point it was fully in the hands of the Engineers at Grace. However I can vouch that the kick stand on the prototypes is very effective and there has been no complaintes from the postal service.

5. Iain March 12, 2013 at 6:40 am -  Reply

Wow, that is a fantastic design.

I would love to see Canada Post using this type of system more often. I think the problem they would run into might be the snow, but for a good part of the year this could be used.

I love the design very slick. We haven’t seen a huge increase in the number of electric bikes in Canada yet.

At the moment it is more of a niche. However, I think that over time it will become more prominent.

Thanks for sharing

6. Prof.Prodromal April 6, 2015 at 3:51 pm -  Reply

It looks like the new design is much lighter weight….correct? Possibly a good thing for the motors that Europeans are limited to, one third HP.

Do you know if they are going to allow a stronger motor for the post office?