The Dream Machine by Jonny Mole

Concept, Road, Tradeshows & Events 7 424

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “The Dream Machine by Jonny Mole”.

1. Michaelw February 11, 2013 at 5:47 pm -  Reply

Since it is not UCI compliant, why the triangle of tubes? Why the bent tube? Why the small diameter bottom bracket? How do adjust the saddle height and bars? This is a half-designed bike.
    Look did the hinged mono-formed fork and steerer.
    Beru F1 Systems Factor 001 did the integrated sensor and electronics.
    If it is a concept bike, what is the concept? It seems a conservative design.

2. Mike February 11, 2013 at 10:03 pm -  Reply

They designed a jersey, so they’re qualified to design a bike? Seriously? I’m supposed to read that statement and not roll my eyes and/or snarf my coffee?

At least they built the silly thing. Also, Scott Drop-Ins FTW.

• James Thomas February 12, 2013 at 8:26 am -  Reply

Mike, I assume that the graphic designers who worked on the jersey were not the same group as the industrial designers who worked on the bike. I added that bit about the jersey because I thought it was interesting, but their portfolio does show a few bike related product design projects as well. Sorry if I made you snarf coffee though. Hopefully it wasn’t too hot.

The Scott Drop-In style bars were the first thing I noticed about the design. Maybe because I just hacked apart an old pair out of my parts bin to make DIY bullhorns for a friends bike.

• Mike February 12, 2013 at 9:03 am -  Reply

I hate to be this snarky (no I don’t), but honestly I don’t see any industrial design on that site, much less any bike design. All the bike projects are graphic design only, and their other projects are only styling and graphics. Bravo to a bunch of sticker makers for getting a prototype built, but given that they’ve never designed a mechanical object before I’m skeptical of this bike and any committee that would give it an award. I’d be curious to know who did the real work.

3. Mommus February 19, 2013 at 4:00 am -  Reply

Well I think it looks great. I don’t think it’s beyond a ‘bunch of sticker makers’ to employ a bit of engineering design or even to employ a design engineer to assist them.

4. random_designer February 19, 2013 at 7:02 am -  Reply

The dream machine reminds me of LOOK and BMC. Except LOOK and BMC achieve this look way better.

The lack of stem makes this look somehow impotent (take that as a pun in you like), overall it’s just pretty boring. Maybe I just can’t see what’s innovative or new here.