Skip to content

A moment for bikes in New York

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “A moment for bikes in New York”.

Posted in Commuter, Utility.

Tagged with , , , , .

9 Responses

1. MarkB says

The people who are riding ‘temporarily’ now, and will resume driving, have never experienced the euphoria of the ride, and they never will — until they let go of the mindset that dictates “do as little as needed to get by”. They will look back on this, as they did the transit strike, as a moment when they ‘gallantly rose to meet adversity’, but no more.

I wish it was just “their loss”…..

2. ian in hamburg says

Face it, most people who drive in the city still consider cycling to be the realm of freaks and weirdos. It will always be so.

• PeterAnker says

Not only that, but they consider that cyclist shouldn’t be alloud on roads among cars.
      Honks, and swearing, and they just don’t give you space when they overtake. It’s like you are sign post or something.

I’m atalking about my home town, wich is in a 3rd world country.
      I’m hopping for a beter future thoug…

3. Kay says

Great blog! Well said!

4. siklistang mambuleno says

you will notice the necessity of a bicycle when there’s no more fuel to be sold or trade, and this could happen into your nation someday…

5. Geoffrey says

I live in Berlin, and happily and willingly ride for errands, commutes (with children in tow) as well as sport….. I lived in NYC for twenty years +, and rode sporadically — the traffic felt too hostile and unpredictable…. when I was single it was ok, but as a father I felt irresponsible. I left at the beginning of 2011.

6. smalghan says

I’m more optimistic that this is an opportunity for people to feel out the distances and routes they cover in their daily routines with less traffic around and discover how convenient and flexible a bike is for getting around the city. A little of the shine will wear off as more cars come back on line but a point will have been made. A place like NY is so much better lived and experienced on a bike than in a car.

Continuing the Discussion

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.