ISUDA Bike Share Design Competition

Commuter, Concept, Utility 21 163

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “ISUDA Bike Share Design Competition”.

1. Távora September 4, 2012 at 2:22 pm -  Reply

Couldn’t you guys post some pics of the bike from a different point of view so we can also see the width of it folded and unfolded ?
    Thanks and congratulations to the winner!

• francis September 5, 2012 at 6:27 am -  Reply

The bike becomes a cube shape after it is completely folded.

2. Ted Lewandowski September 4, 2012 at 9:34 pm -  Reply

Can you tell us who produces the folding bike that you have featured in this article?

3. Bubba Nicholson September 4, 2012 at 10:36 pm -  Reply

You mean like pedal generator stations (near bus stops and stations) where civic-minded individuals could instantly work for pay and benefits, linked to solar/wind charging stations for Segways, pedelecs, and ultralight moving vans via the grid?

4. Josh September 5, 2012 at 7:43 am -  Reply

We are a bike share consulting firm and are getting ready to launch bikeshare.com website – industry site for bike share. We would love to co-sponsor this competition.

5. WenHua Zhang September 11, 2012 at 1:59 am -  Reply

Hi there! Is team work acceptable in this competition? i mean like 2 people? Thx! :)

• James Thomas September 11, 2012 at 1:57 pm -  Reply

A two person team is OK. If you win, of course, you would have to figure out how to split the prize.

6. jonathan b September 18, 2012 at 6:46 pm -  Reply

Hi. The prize seems massively unfair considering the cost of a design studio for such a project. Also considering the amount of free proposals you will get. And it is not clear whether you own the rights for all the submissions or only the winners. If all submissions then the prize is truely laughable. Sorry to be critical . I do love the brief, but i’m also vry weary of how some companies abuse the design competition “format” to pay less for more.

• James Thomas September 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm -  Reply

Jonathan, I understand your point, but keep in mind that this is not a corporate sponsored design competition. It is a simply partnership between a personal blog and a small start-up bike share company. We are not looking for fully developed products, so the “the cost of a design studio” should not be a concern. All you need to enter is an idea and a way to express it (rendering software, Photoshop, or even just pencil & paper). Our hope is to find a good design solution that truly can improve the lives of multi-modal commuters in Singapore, but I don’t see that as “abusing the design competition “format” to pay less for more.” Personally, I write this blog in my free time because I love bikes and cycling and I really do want to promote innovative ideas that have potential to get people to use bikes in place of cars for certain trips. I know that Francis, and the others on the jury, feel the same way about bike transportation.

Instead of partnering with a large bike company like I did for the last competition, I wanted to be involved with a competition that I felt really could make a difference. That is the goal here, and I truly hope that the outcome will be a success. I really do wish that we could afford to provide a huge cash prize, but it is just not economically feasible. That said, I believe the mini folding bike is a pretty nice reader’s choice prize, and I think Francis is generous in offering to give away production ISUDA bikes to entrants whose major design elements are used.

If you really do love the design brief, I hope that you will consider submitting an entry. In addition to possible winning a prize, your idea could serve to get more people on bikes. Yeah…I know that sounds cheesy, but I honestly believe it is a very worthwhile goal. Bike transportation is something that I am passionate about… and that is why I spend my time on this.

7. jonathan b September 19, 2012 at 3:01 am -  Reply

James, thanks for taking the time to reply so nicely. I have no doubt that your intention is good and you are passionate about this topic. But however passionate is this “small startup” is, the fact remains that at best they will make good money from council contracts, and it is not necessary to offer “huge cash prize” , but a first prize of royalties on future earnings from the design might be more appropiate and fair to all parties involved in my humble opinion, so if no money is made then no money is paid. Again many thanks for you feedback on this, i appreciate it

• francis September 26, 2012 at 9:25 am -  Reply

Hi Jonathan, thanks for bringing this up. As co-founder of ISUDA bike share, I am really excited to work with James, Mark and Prof Yap. I am even more excited as we are all passionate and believe in the cause of promoting cycling.
      ISUDA is not waiting for the winning design from the competition. What you see in the design brief is our work-in-progress. We will proceed with our development of the share bike, with or without the design competition. Some people may consider we are taking a huge risk in terms of exposing our intellectual properties so early. However my focus is not in the protection, but promotion. I see James blog as the perfect platform to reach out to those passionate in the bicycle and design field. Depends on the entries, I hope our development process will be able to benefit from some of the ideas. Even If it is not, I’m sure all the ideas will benefit the share bicycle field as a whole and all our effort will not be wasted.

8. rahmat December 12, 2012 at 1:43 pm -  Reply

may i could join these competition too?

• James Thomas December 12, 2012 at 1:50 pm -  Reply

Absolutely…it is open to everyone. Just follow the instructions in the post and send in your concept by the January 11th deadline.

9. abner dizon February 4, 2013 at 5:24 am -  Reply

hi francis,
    may i ask if the q-bike model already have in any shop here in Singapore? if yes how much?
    thanks