Skip to content

Two very similar plywood bike concepts

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Two very similar plywood bike concepts”.

Posted in Commuter, Concept, Student Design.

Tagged with , , , , , .

16 Responses

1. Clancy says

Nice a simple design. I built a plywood and LVL (laminated veneer lumber) bike in 2006. My design is not tops but the concept is much different. http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11557&p=116151&hilit=woodie#p116151

2. Greg says

Why would he go to the trouble of changing it as he did to make it less attractive? At a glance his design is more practical.

• James Thomas says

If you are referring to the shape of the two ply pieces….yes, his design is probably more practical. I’d love to ride it and feel how the frame flexes. It looks like a very well built prototype.

3. Johann Rissik says

Yours is more elegant and his seatpost-to-top-plank junction is problematic. Now please stop CADding and make one;)

• James Thomas says

Yes, I should make one…just need to find the time. I guess that is why the design has been sitting in a folder for years.

4. Fuzzy Math says

2008 is not 5 or 6 years ago

• James Thomas says

Ha, ha! 2008 is when I posted the sketches and did the rendering. The original sketches were drawn quite a bit prior to that; probably around 2005 or 2006.

5. Pierre says

In my opinion, this is just a coincidence. Your design, James, is indeed much more refined and elegant.

6. Odair says

Bicicleta é um transporte ecológico, seja qual for o seu design

7. Keith says

Both designs look really cool. Would look forward to both bikes getting beyond the prototype stage.

8. Peter kornum says

Fishing for praise, for somthing you dident bother finishing…. Take the high road…. Your design is great… But imagine the amount of work he put in to actually make it work… Just look at the dementions of the plywood etc.

• James Thomas says

I was not fishing for praise at all. The post was just my initial reaction to seeing a very similar design to one I had posted previously. As I wrote in my update though, I am glad to see that he made a working prototype (an nice one at that) and I acknowledged that the similarity between the two designs could very well be a complete coincidence.

9. Ken says

i have a question,if your weight up to 100kg,
    can it support for that?

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.