Back on the block

Uncategorized 7 1

I mentioned a while back that my Pinarello track bike was for sale. The price ended up going pretty high, but unfortunately the sale didn’t go though. The winning (zero feedback) bidder backed out and the top two bidders were international anyway. Oh well, that was my first experience with an ebay sale not going through. I guess it happens from time to time. Anyway, I just re-listed the bike, so take a look here if you are interested.

That is me pictured here riding along on a wet street. At the time I had a road fork and front brake on the bike, but the original fork is back on it now. The original fork is not drilled for a brake, but I’ll throw in the old steel road fork if anybody wants it. I would hate for someone to drill the original fork crown.

1. Robb Sutton (198) August 19, 2008 at 2:13 pm -  Reply

That’s eBay sometimes. Who knows…you might do better on it this time. It is all about timing.

By the way…I have been watching your stats lately…great job!!

2. James August 19, 2008 at 4:07 pm -  Reply

Robb, we will see how it does this time. Vintage Italian track bikes always seem to do well on Ebay.

Yeah, the readership has been growing steadily lately. I am very happy to see the daily pageview stats rising like they have been and I appreciate all the new readers who are checking the blog out.

3. Darren August 19, 2008 at 4:14 pm -  Reply

Hey I’m fairly new here, and this is my first comment but that is a very solid bike. Keep up the excellent work

4. bikesgonewild August 20, 2008 at 1:44 am -  Reply

…great panda foto & heh, heh, a good sales promo…"tracks straight & true…see, no hands in the rain"

…what are we looking at there, james…a 150 stem ???…

5. James August 20, 2008 at 9:41 am -  Reply

Thanks Darren, glad you like the blog.

bikesgonewild, close- it is a 140. That bike is a bit small for me, so i have always had the seat very high and a long stem. I guess that is part of why I am selling it.

And yeah, it does track straight and true, but I am not really sure that showing a bike in the rain is a great sales technique. I did always dry it off when I got home though.

6. Anonymous August 20, 2008 at 11:14 am -  Reply

I have been selling old bike stuff on eBay for about 10 years. Only within the past year have non-paying bidders been showing up enforce in the bike realm.

Now that eBay has changed the feedback system so that sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers, the instances of non paying bidders has risen dramatically for the stuff I am selling. In the last week alone I have 2 non pays on 6 items.

7. James August 20, 2008 at 12:29 pm -  Reply

Thanks for the message anon. I have heard the same kinds of stories recently from others who sell a lot on eBay. The new changes to the feedback system definitely stack things against the seller. I guess eBay wants to make buyers feel at ease, but it won’t help if they end up driving sellers away.