ON is on!

Concept 8 7

Several other blogs including Treehugger, Wired, and Cyclelicious recently picked up on a Cannondale Community blog post which said:

“Due to the overwhelming positive response from the cycling community and beyond, Cannondale has committed to bringing the ON concept bike into production in the near future.”

Great! I am glad to hear it. I first posted the student-designed Cannondale Jackknife concept bike back in January of 2006. At the time, I didn’t expect the concept to actually evolve into something that would eventually make it into the Cannondale line. Even when I saw the ON concept bike that was unveiled at Eurobike, I didn’t really expect it to progress any further than the show bike stage. Well, it appears that the concept really is moving closer to a spot in the Cannondale product line. I expect to see some design changes before the ON becomes a real production bike, but I am glad to hear that the idea is moving forward. I will be anxious to see the final iteration of this design soon and yeah; I’ll add my name to the growing list of people who want to give it a test ride.

Photo: Torgny Fjeldskaar, Cannondale’s Global Design Director, pictured with the ON concept at Eurobike

1. Fritz March 14, 2008 at 5:32 pm -  Reply

But no photo of Yngwie?

2. bikesgonewild March 15, 2008 at 3:18 pm -  Reply

…ya know, when i first saw yngwie’s name on that post, my glancing thought was “oh, the swede motocross guy is in the bike biz now”…knew the name from somewhere but duh! on me…

…i’m glad to see a design that will be considered “far out” by the public come into the mainstream led by a ‘name’ company…i think it portends well for the future introduction & acceptance of other interesting concepts…

3. James March 17, 2008 at 7:30 am -  Reply

Fritz, I don’t get the Yngwie Malmsteen reference. What I am missing? It’s too early for April Fools.

4. Philippe March 21, 2008 at 5:37 am -  Reply

Just to reply to Ron, the softride was never the starting point for this bike. We just wanted a full-size foldable bike that looked great. So we decided that a logical place for the hinge would be in de middle, so the wheels overlap when folded. And that is what dictated the main shape of the frame. I can still see the resemblance to the softride of course. But theirs was a suspension concept, the ON isn’t.

5. Anonymous March 26, 2008 at 4:51 pm -  Reply

Fan freakin’ tastic, Now if they can make it for less than $1000 retail (999 works as well) they may be onto something. With a Lefty-er i mean Righty,and the SRAM drivetrain I highly doubt it tho.

It will be interesting to see what price point the package will support and what will need to be modified to support the target.

6. Nic April 8, 2008 at 3:47 pm -  Reply

I just wanted to give you a headsup on the Cannondale bike giveaway tomorrow at Sid’s Bike NYC. The details are at http://www.freefroot.com