Trek Lime city bike

Miscellaneous 6 7

Nice scoop for Bike Portland. They posted this fuzzy but top-secret spy photo today of a new Trek city bike that features the Shimano Coasting group. Apparently the picture was taken at Trek’s dealer meeting in Wisconsin earlier this week.

I think this is a good move for Trek and I look forward to seeing more transportation oriented designs that utilize this new Shimano group. I like the integrated chain ring guard on this “Lime” design, but it is hard to tell from this photo whether or not the bike includes fenders. It should. Other integrated features like front and rear lights, a wheel lock, and a carrying rack would also be nice on a bike that is targeted toward urban commuters. Yeah I know, I sound like a broken record talking about commuter bikes for the U.S. market, but I think the time has come. Let me know what you think? Either way, I bet we will see quite a few new commuter bike designs unveiled at Interbike next month.

1. Anonymous August 22, 2006 at 8:14 am -  Reply

This is less about Commuting and practicality as it is Style; attempting to sell to the 160 million+ who don’t ride.

2. James August 22, 2006 at 11:04 am -  Reply

You are probably right, but I don’t see the problem. Getting the 160 million plus people who don’t ride to at least try cyling is a pretty noble goal (and a potentially profitable one as well).

3. Fritz August 23, 2006 at 1:07 pm -  Reply

Read this, especially this quote from NBDA Exec Director Fred Clements:

“If we don’t begin to look toward broadening our market to areas we don’t accommodate, what’s the future? We need to continue to work to get kids and women on quality bikes. There are a lot of areas that I think we can address because the boomers are on a timer.”

And then watch the video intreviwe with Peter Chishom in Boulder in which he basically says “screw you” to anybody who walks into his shop to buy a commuter bike.

4. James August 23, 2006 at 4:35 pm -  Reply

Good BRaIN article Fritz, thanks.

What is the date on the video? I couldn’t find it.

5. Anonymous August 23, 2006 at 7:47 pm -  Reply

More details and photos of the Trek Lime have been posted on the web site of the Bike Gallery, a large Trek dealer in Portland, OR.

6. Anonymous September 13, 2006 at 6:33 pm -  Reply

actually…it is a commuter by definition…saw it, rode it…think old raliegh 3 speed meets light alloy frame and auto shift, speed sensitive