Skip to content

Backbrat bike grill by Mathias Hintermann

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Backbrat bike grill by Mathias Hintermann ”.

Posted in Concept.

Tagged with , , , .

9 Responses

1. Mike says

Chicago’s own Rat Patrol has always had a couple of grill bikes in circulation, always with the radically-less-safe front mounted design. In winter the trick is to be going the right speed so that you stay warm but don’t inhale too much smoke. Firewood produces less ash and burns slower than charcoal once you get the venting right.

2. J.L.Garrett says

Ahh… My fellow German designers do it again. The Americans invented it, the Germans perfected it.

3. Erik Eagleman says

this is great. I could have used this multiple times this last summer. Get Bern on board, and do it!!

4. Nick F says

As someone who has crossed town with their (full sized) grill on their (normal sized) bike, I love the concept of this product.

As someone who loves to grill, though, I wonder… is it too small to be any good? I wonder, if, in trying to be so sleek and so minimal, it might instead be making itself meek and ineffective as a grill? I think I would prefer committing to something larger on my bike for the improved grilling experience. I’m not concerned about brat space, I’m concerned that there isn’t enough volume to get strong, even coals…. or any distance from the coals.

Also… the ‘material breakdown’ is just crazy. Forget about the fact that it wouldn’t work at all thermally – the idea of grilling your meat in a plastic container is simply disgusting. Just make the thing out of metal. Why would you try to “save weight” on a bike-mounted grill? It’s not relevant to the purpose of the object. Is it ANT+ compatible too? How about GPS-enabled?

It’s unfortunate, because looking at the original mockups, it was probably a lot closer to being something functional in the initial prototype… and seems to have been forced in to this zoomy, sleek, mini-THULE-rack direction despite the functional dissonance it exudes. Maybe it’s the Art Center Effect…?

Anyway, this product does need to exist. Kickstarter, Mathias?

5. Patrick C says

A bike grill is only as good as the accompanying kickstand.

6. Ken Pendergrass says

I’m laughing, this is a pretty good practical joke, no? The ice box for the beer and potato salad mounts on the fork and doubles as a stand to keep the bike level while the fire is in use? I’ll wait for the propane version before I put one on the Madone.
    K

7. michael says

Hmmm. I am not convinced. Sounds like a solution looking for a problem. There are any number of portable grills that could be strapped to the carrier or stuffed in a pannier that would allow the user more flexibility. What if you wanted to BBQ somewhere with limited access for bikes? I could think of any number of scenarios where having a tiny grill bolted to your bicycle would be less than ideal. Plus you have a vinyl covered, foam filled and highly flammable saddle in close proximity to the heat source. Impractical and dangerous…….. I can’t wait for the YouTube videos of flaming bicycles.

Continuing the Discussion

1. Gepäckträger Grill – Der Sommer kann kommen linked to this post on March 2, 2013

[...] nicht zu kaufen. Und vielleicht ist das Ganze auch gar nicht so ernst gemeint. Sollte es aber, denn diesen Grill in dem einen oder anderen Shop zu sehen, würde die Welt des Fahrrad-Zubehörs auf nicht nur [...]

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.