A partial catch-up post

Concept 8 5

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “A partial catch-up post ”.

1. Andy December 20, 2012 at 9:38 am -  Reply

This blog would sound more interesting if your subject lines and first paragraphs weren’t *always* about catching up. Just my 2 cents.

I stopped looking at Kickstarter projects (esp lights!) unless I see it from ~3 sources first. Just too much noise and not enough signal to be worth it anymore with so many repeat products. I get more interested once they’ve met the funding goals, though I can’t recall seeing anything actually for sale yet, though I’m sure someone must be successful from that process. Have you seen any good examples of funded and available for purchase products yet?

I’ve seen the cardboard helmet doing the rounds, and I have to say that I can’t imagine it working for most of the US without vents. But with vents, cardboard probably isn’t the best material for waterproofness either. It will be interesting to see how that goes. Considering great helmets can be bought for $30, it’s going to be a hard market to break into.

• James Thomas December 20, 2012 at 10:06 am -  Reply

Yeah, I can’t disagree with your first statement. I know that my whole “too busy to post” complaint is starting to become very predictable. I’ll quit putting it in writing, but I guess the bigger question is whether or not I have time for the blog anymore at all. If I keep it going, I want it to be interesting, so some bigger changes may be in order. I still love doing it, but it is getting harder to fit into my life these days.

I too have seen Kickstarter projects that were successfully funded and still didn’t seem to go any further. I have also seen a few successful products from established companies that probably would have been released without any help from Kickstarter (the square bottle from Clean bottle for instance). There are a few, like this one, that get funding and are then available for purchase on a website. I think most of the ones like that fly under the radar though.

I agree on the helmet. Anything without vents would be useful only for short slow rides (urban commutes, perhaps). The shell may keep the rain out, but if it keeps the sweat in that certainly won’t help the cardboard structure.

• Andy December 20, 2012 at 10:16 am -  Reply

I know actually creating a product even with the funding in place must be difficult, but I wonder what happens with funded projects that go no further. Are people scamming KS by posting good ideas with no intention to ever produce, hoping to cash in their funding money? I guess that also opens the door to approach an established company and say “This project got backing; people want it; I’ll sell you my design to be produced”

• James Thomas December 20, 2012 at 10:27 am -  Reply

“I find a bag company particularly interesting for KS. I recently started making similar handlebar bags on nothing more than a $150 sewing machine. I’d sure love $15,000 in my pocket to encourage me to ramp it up though!”

I think you hit the nail on the head. Instead of bootstrapping to get a product out, people are using kickstarter to build a bigger than necessary cushion. Risk is part of starting a business, and perhaps there is some value to knowing that you HAVE TO provide a good product or service to survive.

I also wonder when I see companies like Volagi and Clean Bottle using it. They may still be small companies, but it is not like they are individuals trying to get an idea off the ground.

2. fred December 20, 2012 at 9:55 am -  Reply

I like the reflective bike idea – I guess the easy way to get some more reflection is with tape, but it would be nice if manufacturers started to use reflective paints.

Random question: why aren’t there generally LED lights powered by dynamo? LEDs use so little power I would have thought it would be really easy, possibly with the dynamo only working when the brakes were engage or something. Or using a dynamo & LEDs to light up a bike like a Christmas tree.

It’ll need some electronics to take the power from the dynamo and convert it to DC and the correct voltage, but that can’t be too much more than diodes, resistors and capacitors… maybe that’ll be my next project.

• Andy December 20, 2012 at 10:07 am -  Reply

Dynamo lights are great, but the complication is that good hub systems designed for extended use cost around $350 to start (Shimano 3n-dh80, Busch&Muller Cyo, Busch&Muller Toplight Line) and require rebuilding a wheel (~$30 in spokes plus labor). Cheaper options exist, such as $20 sidewall bottle generators with a B&M Lyt and a cheaper taillight ($80 total), but sidewall bottle dynamos don’t grip well in the rain/snow/ice, are noisy and have noticeable drag. A few projects have tried magnet powered lights, but so far none have proven to be very effective beyond a “See-me” type of light. On the other hand, 300 lumen LED battery powered flashlights are now as low as $5, with bike mounts available too.

• James Thomas December 20, 2012 at 10:13 am -  Reply

A few manufactures are using reflective paint. There were the Biomega and Puma models a few years back, and Pure has one now. I would like to see more though.

LED lights powered by Dynamo exist, but I too would like to see more of them on the market (especially here in the US). If I recall correctly, Specialized showed something recently under the Globe brand. I’ll have to dig into it…unless anyone else remembers the details.

• Tatiana January 18, 2013 at 4:57 pm -  Reply

Reflective tape! A friend showed me this last year and now I have it on my frame, wheels, and helmet! I love it and a plus side is it’s cheap. Also it’s a small business located out of Chicago and all their products are made in the US. Check them out!