Graeme Obree’s first test run in “the Beastie”

HPV / Recumbent, Miscellaneous 10 60

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Graeme Obree’s first test run in “the Beastie””.

1. Andy November 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm -  Reply

I highly doubt it too. At 80+ mph, the aerodynamics will be the biggest factor by far. If you look at previous winning designs, they seem to be a smaller shell around the bike. Couple that with his odd drivetrain system that doesn’t seem like it’s offering any advantages, and it’s a longshot if he’s only maybe hit 40mph so far.

Maybe his initial concept to lay prone was in hopes of being more aerodynamic, but that doesn’t appear to have worked with this design.

• Androo November 23, 2012 at 1:39 pm -  Reply

Well, he only hit 40 mph with the skin off, in a low visibility situation with standing water.

That’s not to say that he will be able to break the record, but I think he’ll give it a good shot.

2. littleman November 27, 2012 at 11:18 am -  Reply

Those kind of shells have a nasty habit of fogging up or turning into a solar cooker. In any thing like this there is always trial and error. The bike he breaks the record on (or not) may look nothing like this.

I wonder what the un-faired record is and would he have a chance at that one?

• art November 30, 2012 at 10:02 am -  Reply

Humidity management is one of the reasons why some of the faster fully faired HPVs have the rider wearing a fighter pilot style air mask ducted to one of the wheel wells. It also avoids having big intake and exhaust vents, which would otherwise be needed to get sufficient oxygen turnover. Attempting the record in Scotland should alleviate some of the solar cooker concerns.

3. Mark Sanders November 28, 2012 at 1:47 pm -  Reply

One of my all time Heros :-)

• James Thomas November 28, 2012 at 2:38 pm -  Reply

One of mine as well. I really am hoping that he can overcome the odds (yet again) and pull off the record.

4. Jay December 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm -  Reply

I had no idea how high the record was. Almost 83 mph from a human powered vehicle seems almost unbelievable. I am excited to see how this turns out.

5. Pete July 30, 2013 at 5:37 am -  Reply

Machrihanish runway was nicknamed the cheese grater due to the rough, high friction, quick draining surface on the runway. It ate aircraft tyres……. It’s a great place for trials as I cannot think of another more wind exposed and difficult runway to do trials…… When Graham takes on the world at a more suitable venue his speed will increase. I believe that Graham has the skills, strength and determination to take the record. Good luck.

6. Bob T September 9, 2013 at 6:58 pm -  Reply

The fundamental difference is that it appears that his legs perform a kind of stepping motion as in climbing stairs. While I would have difficulty producing 0.5hp for any time on an exercise bike, I can run up stairs at a speed requiring 1-2hp suggesting that a stepping motion maximises the power available. This along with the absolute minimal frontal area of his prone position at least suggests to me that his design is an entirely rational one for maximum speed. I wonder if a complete fairing is best – after all it has to be big enough to contain the entire volume described by his moving legs which is of course greater than the volume at any instant ie the cross sectional frontal area of the fairing must be greater than that of his body and legs – if you see what I mean?