Toka bike by Tobias Bernstein

Commuter, Concept 7 77

I am slammed with work this week, so I am a bit behind on posts. I do want to quickly pass along a few renderings that a reader recently shared with me though. Tobias Bernstein, an Industrial Designer working in Austria, shared his design concept for a belt drive foldable city bike. As an occasional commuter who likes to cut through rough roads, trails, gravel, and fields whenever possible, I like the knobby tires, disc brakes, and front suspension.

You can see more of Toby’s work on the website for his design firm, Toka Design.

1. Karl September 26, 2012 at 1:09 pm -  Reply

any pictures of the folded bike?

2. Ballo September 26, 2012 at 9:00 pm -  Reply

I’m interested if there is any rationale behind the spoke design. They narrow near the hub, reducing capacity for torque transfer via shear, and the offset bias suggests they would take braking in extra tension (good) but pedal forces in extra compression (not so good)
    A folded image would be great too, as I can’t determine the pivot plane from the images.

• Nick F September 28, 2012 at 9:04 am -  Reply

If I had to guess, I’d say the inward tapering spokes are referencing an airplane propeller.

3. carlos September 26, 2012 at 9:43 pm -  Reply

Excelentes renders. Especialmente el primero.
    Great renderings. Especilly the first one.

4. David W September 27, 2012 at 12:55 am -  Reply

The pivot plane would appear to be in the seat post,or halfway between crank and seat.It is a very crisp design.

5. Woody September 27, 2012 at 1:41 am -  Reply

Looks to me (clearest in the 2nd picture) like the pivot plane is half way down the seat post almost horizontal but tilted to just above the front wheel hub.

6. art September 27, 2012 at 11:52 am -  Reply

Those wheels are giving me flashbacks of detonated Rev-Xs. The frame/pivot design is very nice.