Skip to content

2012 IBDC winners from Taipei

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “2012 IBDC winners from Taipei”.

Posted in Concept, E-bike, Events, Student Design.

Tagged with , , , , , .

11 Responses

1. Erik says

The silver medal winning bike doesn’t look very usable to me. It’s a pretty looking thing but the one size fits nobody design just doesn’t seem practical at all. And no carrying capacity? Not like the bronze that is like a transformer! Love how it can do so much from one basic platform! The gold medal winner seems like a pretty good idea and design but is just as hard to store as an other full sized ride. Smaller wheels and/or foldability would help out (though sacrificing speed with the smaller wheels).

• James Thomas says

Yeah, I agree about the the silver award winner. It looks very impractical and appears to have been judged mainly on aesthetics. The IBDC often tends to favor very strange concepts, but this year the 1st and 3rd place winners do seem to have some merit.

• minhloc says

it looks like an improved monocycle.
      it draws inspiration upon an existing available bicycle : the velocino

2. Impossibly Stupid says

Only one I really like is the cargo trike. Nobody needs an odd reverse mini-farthing, and nobody needs yet another electric bike that runs north of $5K.

• butch says

I hate this kind of reasoning – as far as I am concerned anybody may spend on any bike any amount he wants and it is always money better spent compared to other toys like skidoos and trailorqueens etc.

3. Bubba Nicholson says

Me, personally? I’m waiting for inflatable fairings.

4. Larry CHEN says

The reason why they are labeled as 2011 is that the competition was held at 2011( July for first round, November for final round), the ceremony was taken place in Taipei cycle show 2012, the result was announced at ceremony.

• James Thomas says

Thanks for the explanation, Larry. That makes sense.

…and congrats on the Gold Award. Nice job!

5. Joe says

The silver award winner doesn’t even look ridable to me. I get frustrated with design “winners” that don’t actually improve functionality or easy of use.

6. Bicyclist says

I thing freedom of movement is a basic human right. Government need to give away free electric bicycles or to subsidy with 90% to help economy and people in the same time.
    We this action they will solve unemployment problem, pollution problem and expencive gas problem.

Continuing the Discussion

1. Velocity, la bicicleta eléctrica transformable | Motoselectricas linked to this post on March 29, 2013

[...] Fuente | Bicycledesign [...]

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.