2012 IBDC winners from Taipei

Concept, Electric bike, Student Design, Tradeshows & Events 11 40

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “2012 IBDC winners from Taipei”.

1. Erik March 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm -  Reply

The silver medal winning bike doesn’t look very usable to me. It’s a pretty looking thing but the one size fits nobody design just doesn’t seem practical at all. And no carrying capacity? Not like the bronze that is like a transformer! Love how it can do so much from one basic platform! The gold medal winner seems like a pretty good idea and design but is just as hard to store as an other full sized ride. Smaller wheels and/or foldability would help out (though sacrificing speed with the smaller wheels).

• James Thomas March 13, 2012 at 1:47 pm -  Reply

Yeah, I agree about the the silver award winner. It looks very impractical and appears to have been judged mainly on aesthetics. The IBDC often tends to favor very strange concepts, but this year the 1st and 3rd place winners do seem to have some merit.

2. Impossibly Stupid March 13, 2012 at 7:58 pm -  Reply

Only one I really like is the cargo trike. Nobody needs an odd reverse mini-farthing, and nobody needs yet another electric bike that runs north of $5K.

• butch March 20, 2012 at 7:40 pm -  Reply

I hate this kind of reasoning – as far as I am concerned anybody may spend on any bike any amount he wants and it is always money better spent compared to other toys like skidoos and trailorqueens etc.

3. Bubba Nicholson March 13, 2012 at 8:39 pm -  Reply

Me, personally? I’m waiting for inflatable fairings.

4. Larry CHEN March 13, 2012 at 8:57 pm -  Reply

The reason why they are labeled as 2011 is that the competition was held at 2011( July for first round, November for final round), the ceremony was taken place in Taipei cycle show 2012, the result was announced at ceremony.

• James Thomas March 14, 2012 at 8:52 am -  Reply

Thanks for the explanation, Larry. That makes sense.

…and congrats on the Gold Award. Nice job!

5. Joe March 15, 2012 at 9:02 am -  Reply

The silver award winner doesn’t even look ridable to me. I get frustrated with design “winners” that don’t actually improve functionality or easy of use.

6. Bicyclist May 30, 2012 at 5:01 pm -  Reply

I thing freedom of movement is a basic human right. Government need to give away free electric bicycles or to subsidy with 90% to help economy and people in the same time.
    We this action they will solve unemployment problem, pollution problem and expencive gas problem.