Skip to content

An interesting vintage singlespeed

I am back at my desk catching up after a great Holiday break. I have been on the internet very little in the last 2+ weeks, so I have a lot to share…once I get through some of this email.  For now, I want to quickly point you to this interesting chromed Biscotti single speed from the folks at Vanguard. The recycled bike, built from a N.O.S. 1970’s Bridgestone frame, was recently featured at CycleEXIF. At first glance, the old dual top tube design reminded me of the Torker BMX bike that I rode (and loved) in the early 80s. Actually, I still own that old bike, and my son rides it occasionally these days.

Posted in Commuter, Road.

Tagged with , , , .

7 Responses

1. Javier Cuervo says

Nice.
    The same concept as my girl: The Amaro Rossellini

2. Andy says

Looks great. My one gripe is the bent front fork. The bend is much lower than where the tire is, so there’s still nearly zero clearance at the tire, but loads of clearance under that. I’d probably aim for a smaller chainring and cog too, since singlespeeds with huge chainrings just don’t look as nice, and aren’t necessary for preventing wear since I’m assuming this bike wouldn’t be ridden thousands of miles a year.

3. Carabo says

Excellent idea to tape the bars…but not where you’d actually grip the bars! I can see this becoming a hipster trend really.

Nice bike but such a tape job kills it completely.

4. art says

I know leather bar tape is expensive, but on a bike like this it’s worth it to use the whole roll.

5. Torben Finn Laursen says

Beautiful bike, which in my terms confirms how little the bicycle industry actually has come futher when we talk design and aesthetics, for the last 100 years. That is why retro is so popular. New opportunities are becoming depleted or am I just old-fashioned ?

6. kfg says

“Re-designed and lovingly handcrafted”

Translation: We mangled the cheap production fork rather than fit a tire of the appropriate size even though that would have actually enhanced the style of the bike.

Other than that and the stupid tape job it’s a perfectly fine looking bike, but it’s just a Rat Rod, not a piece of fine pastry.

Continuing the Discussion

1. Cyclelicious » 2012 Week 1 Roundup linked to this post on January 4, 2012

[...] Bicycle Design returns from the holidays to post about this interesting vintage singlespeed. [...]

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.