Bontrager computer/stem integration concept

Concept, Road, Tradeshows & Events 21 100

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Bontrager computer/stem integration concept”.

1. Tmen August 15, 2011 at 1:12 pm -  Reply

Very sleek concept, great presentation!

2. Johann Rissik August 15, 2011 at 1:12 pm -  Reply

Neat idea. Will the 2012 computermatron thingymajig fit in the 2011 stem, ditto for each successive model?

3. Steve Montalto August 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm -  Reply

Like it but don’t want to be tied down to a proprietary Bontrager bike computer. Having said that – since even different models from same brand (e.g. Garmin) have vastly different form factors there’s no god way to do this without an in house design.

• art August 16, 2011 at 11:45 am -  Reply

You’d only be as tied to the computer as you are to the stem. I like how they kept this as a standard stem (though without any apparent method of preloading the headset), rather than a fully integrated bar-stem-brake lever concept. It’s very easy to add or subtract from an existing bike.

4. Janis August 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm -  Reply

Integrating an iphone into the stem would be even better.

• Tmen August 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm -  Reply

About 60% of the customers doesnt have an iphone so that wont work….

• Impossibly Stupid August 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm -  Reply

100% of the customers don’t have a Computermatron Stemigration, so that that works even worse . . .

And I’ll bet you a box of donuts that their integrated computer isn’t going to be less than $200.

• Tmen August 16, 2011 at 7:16 am -  Reply

Point is that is a strange idea to focus on a iphone user, some kind of modular solution for a smartphone would be better… But this device seems to be focused for racing/atb cyclists, and I wouldnt want a smartphone on my atb.

• Impossibly Stupid August 16, 2011 at 11:12 am -  Reply

You’re making zero sense. Why is it strange to focus on one $200 device (iPod touch) but not strange to focus on another $200 device (their custom bike computer)? Why would you want to have two fragile, expensive devices when you’re on your ATB?

Yes, finding a way to support all kinds of smart phones would eliminate some extra cost, but there are really just too many brands/sizes/updates to do that in a clean package. At best, I’d expect to be charged an extra $30-50 for some kind of adaptor. It’d have to be a really nice package to win out against a standard handlebar mount.

• Tmen August 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm -

I know I make zero sense, and sure integrating a smartphone would be nice for CITY cyclists. But if I buy a new bike I just wouldn’t want to buy a phone which suits to the integration. Or would you really want to change you stem when you have a new phone (about every 2 year)? So for smartphones in my opinion it should be modular.
              And does a unit like this really has to cost about €200,-? If you only want speed, cadence, heartrate and maybe a heightmeter? Don’t think so….

Why would you want to have two fragile, expensive devices when you’re on your ATB? Didn’t say that…I’d rather have one dedicated weatherproof device instead of my fragile shiny smartphone…

• Impossibly Stupid August 16, 2011 at 6:36 pm -

“And does a unit like this really has to cost…”

Yes. Based on how much semi-featureful bike computers still cost ($40-450), you should fully expect this proprietary one to be priced crazy-high compared to what you get from a basic iPod touch.

But it’s all moot unless they actually go forward with it.

• James Thomas August 17, 2011 at 8:12 am -

I don’t know a target price, but I would expect this computer to be GPS based and cost more than $200. A basic Garmin Edge 500 costs around $250, so something like this would probably be more if it was to go into production.

5. Loving the Bike August 15, 2011 at 1:46 pm -  Reply

Very interesting design. I can always count on your site to keep me informed and updated. Thanks, man.

Darryl

6. Evan August 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm -  Reply

Looks like it would be torsionally weak.

• Androo August 16, 2011 at 10:35 am -  Reply

Really? The diameter of its box section looks to be almost twice as large as a conventional stem, and the fillets are pretty huge. I think you’d have to be a superman to twist that. It’s a little bit of a structural compromise, but not one that you’d notice.

7. Ross Nicholson August 16, 2011 at 10:25 am -  Reply

Electronics need to be integral to the bicycle, not added on like automobiles in the teens and twenties. Horn, phone, brakes, computer, automatic headlight and tailights/brake lights, signaling–all need to be part of the bike and working.

8. Mechanics Matter February 21, 2012 at 12:08 am -  Reply

This looks really great! Though I’d be reluctant to switch from my Garmin 705.

9. Kimmo July 19, 2012 at 10:19 am -  Reply