Archibald Sharp’s classic ‘Bicycles and Tricycles’

Miscellaneous 20 56

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Archibald Sharp’s classic ‘Bicycles and Tricycles’ ”.

1. human_amplifier October 25, 2010 at 8:24 pm -  Reply

Thank you Richard and James – yes this is an amazing book and remains an inspiration.
    The number of times i ‘think’ of something new, or see an amazing claim, only to find something similar in ‘Archibald’ pre-dating it by over 100 years.

A MUST read by anyone interested in bicycle design.

2. Johann Rissik October 26, 2010 at 3:32 am -  Reply

Brilliant, thank you for sharing that.

Now I just have to work out how to download it…..

• James T October 26, 2010 at 8:41 am -  Reply

Johann, you should be able to just open the Google books link, and then click the PDF button in the top right corner.

3. Johann Rissik October 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm -  Reply

James, I don’t want to hijack the comments section ;) There’s no PDF button for some reason. You want to send me somewhere for help?
    Your blog is a great resource, thanks again

4. Johann Rissik October 27, 2010 at 6:01 am -  Reply

Miles, You’re a star! I now have 567 pages of heaven. Thank you

5. James T October 27, 2010 at 8:45 am -  Reply

This bicycle repair manual from 1897 is another free pdf that is pretty interesting. I like the fact that the author also wrote “Refrigerating and Ice-Making Machinery,” Sugar Machinery,” and “Bearings and Lubrication.” All very interesting books I am sure.

• Johann Rissik October 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm -  Reply

Keep ‘em coming !! This is a gold mine.

6. Johann Rissik October 28, 2010 at 2:33 am -  Reply

Miles,
    I’m having Sharp’s book printed for a cycling friend who is ill in hospital, it will no doubt make his stay less onerous!

7. Jem October 28, 2010 at 8:39 am -  Reply

tis an amazing book.

8. olivia November 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm -  Reply

love it.

9. Peter Clouston March 28, 2012 at 5:10 am -  Reply

Is it just me and my pdf viewer, or does anyone else have the problem that most of the diagrams are blank in the pdf of Sharpe’s book?