Skip to content

Archibald Sharp’s classic ‘Bicycles and Tricycles’

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Archibald Sharp’s classic ‘Bicycles and Tricycles’ ”.

Posted in Uncategorized.

Tagged with , , , , , .

20 Responses

1. human_amplifier says

Thank you Richard and James – yes this is an amazing book and remains an inspiration.
    The number of times i ‘think’ of something new, or see an amazing claim, only to find something similar in ‘Archibald’ pre-dating it by over 100 years.

A MUST read by anyone interested in bicycle design.

2. Johann Rissik says

Brilliant, thank you for sharing that.

Now I just have to work out how to download it…..

3. Johann Rissik says

James, I don’t want to hijack the comments section ;) There’s no PDF button for some reason. You want to send me somewhere for help?
    Your blog is a great resource, thanks again

4. Johann Rissik says

Miles, You’re a star! I now have 567 pages of heaven. Thank you

5. James T says

This bicycle repair manual from 1897 is another free pdf that is pretty interesting. I like the fact that the author also wrote “Refrigerating and Ice-Making Machinery,” Sugar Machinery,” and “Bearings and Lubrication.” All very interesting books I am sure.

6. Miles says

Ref. Cycling art, energy and locomotion – C P Scott 1889, mentioned above – this is available free, too: http://ia700204.us.archive.org/19/items/cyclingartenergy00scot/cyclingartenergy00scot.pdf

7. Miles says

That’s the best of the technical ones. You can see the rest of this particular vein, here:

The velocipede book is without its illustrations, sadly….

8. Johann Rissik says

Miles,
    I’m having Sharp’s book printed for a cycling friend who is ill in hospital, it will no doubt make his stay less onerous!

9. Jem says

tis an amazing book.

10. olivia says

love it.

11. Peter Clouston says

Is it just me and my pdf viewer, or does anyone else have the problem that most of the diagrams are blank in the pdf of Sharpe’s book?

Continuing the Discussion

1. Tweets that mention Archibald Sharp’s 1896 classic book 'Bicycles and Tricycles' | Bicycle Design -- Topsy.com linked to this post on October 25, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by James@BicycleDesign, Wally Alief and Koobi Bike Saddles, Cycle Blogs. Cycle Blogs said: Bicycle Design: Archibald Sharp’s classic ‘Bicycles and Tricycles’: I have mentioned Archibald Sharp’s 189… http://bit.ly/9FU49X [...]

2. Bicycle Evolution in a Minute | Spoke Scopes linked to this post on March 21, 2014

[…] “When it was written [end of the 19th century], the bicycle was revolutionizing personal transportation, and this book was the definitive technical work covering bicycle design down to the smallest detail.” –Bicycle Designs […]

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.