Archibald Sharp’s classic ‘Bicycles and Tricycles’

Miscellaneous 20 97

From the 1896 book "Bicycles and Tricycles' by Archibald SharpI have mentioned Archibald Sharp’s 1896 book Bicycles and Tricycles: An Elementary Treatise on Their Design and Construction on this blog several times before (here is one post that comes to mind). I personally have a pretty big collection of books about bicycles, but Sharp’s classic stands out as my single favorite. When it was written, the bicycle was revolutionizing personal transportation, and this book was the definitive technical work covering bicycle design down to the smallest detail. I keep a copy of it on my bedside table, and I love to browse though it occasionally to see the variety of innovative ideas from the late 19th century.

Even though the latest reprint edition is no longer available, I couldn’t bear to remove Bicycles and Tricycles from the Bicycle Design Amazon store. The good news though is that you don’t have to pay big money for a rare used copy. The book is now available for free at the American Libraries Internet Archive, where you can read it online or download a version in one of several different file formats.

From the 1896 book "Bicycles and Tricycles' by Archibald SharpI recommend reading the entire book, but if you flip directly to the frame section starting at page 275, you will see a collection of interesting designs (only a few of which are pictured here). 19th century roads were pretty rough, and pneumatic tires were fairly new (patented by John Dunlop in 1888), so many inventors had ideas for different types of full suspension bicycles. Those are some of my favorite designs in the book, but the section on gearing is pretty fascinating as well. Okay…it’s too hard to pick a favorite section, so like I said before, read the whole book. If you are interested in bicycle design and history it is definitely worth your time.

Thanks to Richard Masoner at Cyclelicious for sending me the link to this online version of the book. Seeing it scanned and archived for posterity made my day, so I am happy to be able to share this classic book with all of you.

1. human_amplifier October 25, 2010 at 8:24 pm -  Reply

Thank you Richard and James – yes this is an amazing book and remains an inspiration.
    The number of times i ‘think’ of something new, or see an amazing claim, only to find something similar in ‘Archibald’ pre-dating it by over 100 years.

A MUST read by anyone interested in bicycle design.

2. Johann Rissik October 26, 2010 at 3:32 am -  Reply

Brilliant, thank you for sharing that.

Now I just have to work out how to download it…..

• James T October 26, 2010 at 8:41 am -  Reply

Johann, you should be able to just open the Google books link, and then click the PDF button in the top right corner.

3. Johann Rissik October 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm -  Reply

James, I don’t want to hijack the comments section ;) There’s no PDF button for some reason. You want to send me somewhere for help?
    Your blog is a great resource, thanks again

4. Johann Rissik October 27, 2010 at 6:01 am -  Reply

Miles, You’re a star! I now have 567 pages of heaven. Thank you

5. James T October 27, 2010 at 8:45 am -  Reply

This bicycle repair manual from 1897 is another free pdf that is pretty interesting. I like the fact that the author also wrote “Refrigerating and Ice-Making Machinery,” Sugar Machinery,” and “Bearings and Lubrication.” All very interesting books I am sure.

• Johann Rissik October 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm -  Reply

Keep ‘em coming !! This is a gold mine.

6. Johann Rissik October 28, 2010 at 2:33 am -  Reply

Miles,
    I’m having Sharp’s book printed for a cycling friend who is ill in hospital, it will no doubt make his stay less onerous!

7. Jem October 28, 2010 at 8:39 am -  Reply

tis an amazing book.

8. olivia November 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm -  Reply

love it.

9. Peter Clouston March 28, 2012 at 5:10 am -  Reply

Is it just me and my pdf viewer, or does anyone else have the problem that most of the diagrams are blank in the pdf of Sharpe’s book?