E-bikes from Lexus and VW

Concept, Electric bike 12 24

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “E-bikes from Lexus and VW”.

1. Richard Masoner April 30, 2010 at 6:48 pm -  Reply

I wondering if VW really thinks of this as a replacement for the spare tire. Maybe things are a little different in China, but the last two blowouts I’ve had have been on busy Interstate highways where bikes are prohibited.

Still, it’s the DC charging is pretty clever, and you’re right: amazing coverage for e-bikes.

2. James Harness May 1, 2010 at 1:24 pm -  Reply

In response to the VW concept:

Nice idea with regard to the integration in existing vehicles. Falls short for those vehicles that mount the spare wheel on the cars underside.

Personally I would feel like a bit of a lazy toad riding that around a city while everyone else pedals. I am a motorist and a cyclist btw. I feel it would’ve been more socially acceptable if it had been visually closer to a scooter than a bicycle though I understand this is more challenging in terms of space efficiency.

3. mommus May 4, 2010 at 6:24 am -  Reply

What happens if it’s dark, snowing and -10 centigrade? If you’re too incompetent to change a tyre, how will you be able to set out on the VW ‘bike’ to get help. How will you know where to go? What if you’re in a suit and it’s raining? Most people just call a breakdown service or carry a can of tyre weld.

4. olivia May 4, 2010 at 7:25 am -  Reply

I like the design of the VW’s

5. frosty May 4, 2010 at 7:32 am -  Reply

Both concepts look to be mini-velos… an understandable need for the VW folder, but more interesting on the Lexus.

Part of a greater trend?

6. Alasdair Baxter February 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm -  Reply

The problem here in the UK with the VW Bik.e is that it is not road legal since electric bikes have to have pedals as well as an electric motor. Otherwise they are classed as full mopeds and the riders have to wear helmets and have a moped driving licence and the bikes have to be taxed and insured. Personally, I hope VW lobby the Department of Transport to remove the requirement for pedals since a pedal-less bike is a lot easier to store in the boot.

7. einas March 16, 2013 at 8:10 am -  Reply

I am a resident of Sweden and I want to know how much of the cost money

8. Anu September 26, 2013 at 7:39 am -  Reply

What is the price of Lexus bike