Specialized concept bikes

Uncategorized 6 7

I ran across this Specialized Globe hybrid concept bike on an EcoVelo post. The picture came from the Flickr photostream of Hugo Cardoso, who apparently recently toured the factory. The hybrid Globe concept is interesting with its nicely integrated panniers, but as commenters to the Eco Velo post pointed out, seat adjustment would be an issue. Another concept bike inspired by more traditional European city bikes can also be found in Hugo’s photos. Actually, Hugo’s entire set from the tour is worth checking out. It includes quite a few fun concept bikes and show bikes (most of which I think are the work of Robert Egger). Some of the concept bikes I had seen before, but a few of them were new to me. In addition to the bikes, don’t miss the helmet renderings by Scott Robertson. Yep, it is definitely a photoset worth checking out.

1. maxrad July 10, 2008 at 3:24 pm -  Reply

I may be wrong, but I’d be surprised if those are Scott’s helmet renderings. Although I love his work, I don’t think he’s done anything for Specialized in years.

2. GhostRider July 10, 2008 at 3:43 pm -  Reply

The Globe concept looks like a Vespa as seen through the eyes of Giorgetto Giugiaro…I am left underwhelmed.

3. James July 10, 2008 at 3:58 pm -  Reply

Maxrad, it is probably an older drawing. Go to the picture in flickr and you can see Scott’s name on the side of the page.

ghostrider, it does look Vespa inspired. Yeah, it has some issues, but I always like to see concept bikes. The Vespa/moped aesthetic might be appeal to people who don’t ride now but would consider a bike with electric assist.

4. Gaithersburger July 11, 2008 at 12:19 am -  Reply

I caught this trike by Felipe Tolomei posted on gizmodo. Shows some similar lines with some of the other concepts on the flickr page (I’m thinking of the solid red Specialized with the non-adjustable seat). At least Hugo Cardoso’s included pedals… I guess this trike is for downhills mostly ;-)

5. David Miller July 12, 2008 at 12:36 pm -  Reply

Without a doubt, this bike looks amazing. I enjoy biking here in Georgia, it’s an important way I can get around. Some people overlook that and look at bikes just as leisure vehicles. Love this blog and I’ll return.

6. hotouch July 24, 2008 at 5:55 am -  Reply

hey its really awesome bike i like its style its just like a motorcycle is it not?