Skip to content

My ride with Hindsight

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “My ride with Hindsight”.

Posted in Commuter, Concept, Road, Student Design.

Tagged with , , , , .

13 Responses

1. Ski Bike Junkie says

Another benefit of the Cerevellum is that is gives you an excuse to always ride in back, sucking your buddy’s wheel.

2. 198 says

I really like the idea. The roadie purist aren’t going to like the added weight, but it is a great idea. The GPS and seeing the car about to hit me is really unique.

I linked you and his site on mine…hopefully someone picks up the project.

3. JM says

The issue I have with eyeglass-mounted mirrors is that they aim small rods of metal or nylon directly at (and inches away from) your eye.

The Hindsight seems like a good idea…I’d probably even use it on the motorcycle.

4. Anonymous says

If this device had recording capability (store to ipod) and a front facing camera too, it would make a great tool to prosecute aggressive drivers or hit-and-run drivers. Think 1984.

5. eradler says

The difference to a helmet mirror is that you don’t profit if you turn your head to your rear wheel sucking buddy..
    May be racing will profit especially pursuit racing and keirin from such a system..

6. eradler says

And I just want to add, that I also have issued an attempt to patent a generic bicycle display concentrating all those issues one finds on the handlebar and more. I’m also keen to be contacted by a business angel…

7. bikesgonewild says

…anon 9:02pm…go to james’ link back to the original article…in the comment section i devised a evolutionary scenario for the ‘cerevellum’…

…i hope evan solida will still get the opportunity to pursue his idea because it’s logical enough that “some day” it will happen…

8. Ron says

I already critiqued and raved about what I do like in a past post on my blog.

I hope Mr. Solida can check out the questions I posed for him there and maybe reply, here or there, whatever works for him. I’m curious on a lot of aspects of the design.

9. surf-the-arts says

Ron covered it well. With my upper body spinal damage (former car accident) – turning is almost impossible – I have to pull over on right and wait for a traffic clearing when turning left sometimes, because I can’t look back (scary). I think a good visible screen (no blind spots)might help.

10. James says

I should have pointed out, as bikesgonewild did, that several interesting ideas to elvove the concept were discussed in response to the original post. Ron brought up the idea of recording the video data in his post as well. I think that idea in particular makes a lot of sense. Flash memory is cheap, so a 8 gig storage device wouldn’t add much cost to the device.

Ron, you mentioned the obtrusiveness of the camera in the bar end. Actually, it is very small. I wish I had taken a picture of it to share, but the exposed part is just a tiny lens that looks like an LED

11. Get a life..! says

this is a crock of shit. sounds great until you get run over by a garbage truck cos you’re not watching the fucking road!

12. Dog says

Check out this cool new patent for a digital rear-view bicycle mirror by Jonathan Moscato.

Its called the Head-mounted rear vision system (20080239080) and was issued October 2, 2008.

It claims: A rear vision system for providing a rider of a vehicle with an image of the view behind his vehicle independent of the rider's head position, said system comprising;a video camera mounted to the vehicle and aimed at the vehicle's rear view;a display, connected to the video camera for showing the live output video signal of the video camera, and worn on the rider's head at a position visible to the rider;whereby the rider can safely and easily check his rear view at any head position.

13. Dave Holland says

This is obsolete before it goes into production. Use a wireless camera and a smart phone to do the same thing, while it also runs your other apps. By the end of the year you can add these http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/04/google-testing-heads-up-display-glasses-in-public-wont-make-yo/ and you don’t have to take your eyes off the road ahead.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.