My ride with Hindsight

Commuter, Concept, Road, Student Design 13 3

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “My ride with Hindsight”.

1. Ski Bike Junkie May 30, 2008 at 12:18 pm -  Reply

Another benefit of the Cerevellum is that is gives you an excuse to always ride in back, sucking your buddy’s wheel.

2. 198 May 30, 2008 at 1:10 pm -  Reply

I really like the idea. The roadie purist aren’t going to like the added weight, but it is a great idea. The GPS and seeing the car about to hit me is really unique.

I linked you and his site on mine…hopefully someone picks up the project.

3. JM May 30, 2008 at 2:42 pm -  Reply

The issue I have with eyeglass-mounted mirrors is that they aim small rods of metal or nylon directly at (and inches away from) your eye.

The Hindsight seems like a good idea…I’d probably even use it on the motorcycle.

4. Anonymous May 30, 2008 at 8:02 pm -  Reply

If this device had recording capability (store to ipod) and a front facing camera too, it would make a great tool to prosecute aggressive drivers or hit-and-run drivers. Think 1984.

5. eradler May 31, 2008 at 12:07 pm -  Reply

The difference to a helmet mirror is that you don’t profit if you turn your head to your rear wheel sucking buddy..
    May be racing will profit especially pursuit racing and keirin from such a system..

6. eradler May 31, 2008 at 12:11 pm -  Reply

And I just want to add, that I also have issued an attempt to patent a generic bicycle display concentrating all those issues one finds on the handlebar and more. I’m also keen to be contacted by a business angel…

7. bikesgonewild May 31, 2008 at 2:25 pm -  Reply

…anon 9:02pm…go to james’ link back to the original article…in the comment section i devised a evolutionary scenario for the ‘cerevellum’…

…i hope evan solida will still get the opportunity to pursue his idea because it’s logical enough that “some day” it will happen…

8. Ron May 31, 2008 at 7:57 pm -  Reply

I already critiqued and raved about what I do like in a past post on my blog.

I hope Mr. Solida can check out the questions I posed for him there and maybe reply, here or there, whatever works for him. I’m curious on a lot of aspects of the design.

9. surf-the-arts June 1, 2008 at 12:11 pm -  Reply

Ron covered it well. With my upper body spinal damage (former car accident) – turning is almost impossible – I have to pull over on right and wait for a traffic clearing when turning left sometimes, because I can’t look back (scary). I think a good visible screen (no blind spots)might help.

10. James June 2, 2008 at 4:25 pm -  Reply

I should have pointed out, as bikesgonewild did, that several interesting ideas to elvove the concept were discussed in response to the original post. Ron brought up the idea of recording the video data in his post as well. I think that idea in particular makes a lot of sense. Flash memory is cheap, so a 8 gig storage device wouldn’t add much cost to the device.

Ron, you mentioned the obtrusiveness of the camera in the bar end. Actually, it is very small. I wish I had taken a picture of it to share, but the exposed part is just a tiny lens that looks like an LED

11. Get a life..! June 8, 2008 at 11:13 pm -  Reply

this is a crock of shit. sounds great until you get run over by a garbage truck cos you’re not watching the fucking road!

12. Dog October 9, 2008 at 11:45 pm -  Reply

Check out this cool new patent for a digital rear-view bicycle mirror by Jonathan Moscato.

Its called the Head-mounted rear vision system (20080239080) and was issued October 2, 2008.

It claims: A rear vision system for providing a rider of a vehicle with an image of the view behind his vehicle independent of the rider's head position, said system comprising;a video camera mounted to the vehicle and aimed at the vehicle's rear view;a display, connected to the video camera for showing the live output video signal of the video camera, and worn on the rider's head at a position visible to the rider;whereby the rider can safely and easily check his rear view at any head position.