Trek Lime tandem

Uncategorized 14 2

I did not think that I would get a chance to post over the holidays, but someone from Trek just sent me this shot of a prototype Lime tandem that I couldn’t resist sharing.

Trek already makes a 7spd Cruiser tandem, a 24spd “Comfort” tandem, and two high performance domestically manufactured tandems, so the person who sent the picture of this prototype isn’t sure if it will every make production. What do you think? Does this make sense as a 5th tandem in the Trek line?

Merry Christmas All.

1. Darren December 26, 2007 at 12:54 pm -  Reply

I think for Beach tandem rentals or something like that.

2. Trek Rep December 26, 2007 at 7:35 pm -  Reply

Thanks for your feedback Darren.

3. spokejunky December 26, 2007 at 8:13 pm -  Reply

If they don’t have any other internal hub tandems, then I think this one would work.

4. Anonymous December 28, 2007 at 11:16 am -  Reply

Does it have low trail geometry? What’s the head angle/fork rake?

5. Fritz December 29, 2007 at 1:29 am -  Reply

Now that is one great application for the Coasting hub.

6. aidee December 29, 2007 at 8:39 am -  Reply

WOW a platform for Xtracycle perhaps? Maybe have fold up pedals to enable tacking on such a pannier system!!

7. tim December 29, 2007 at 9:31 pm -  Reply

seems a little early for Trek to put out an April Fool’s day joke like this.

8. Ron December 30, 2007 at 8:18 am -  Reply

I think it’ll be a good addition to the product line. TREK has a lot of variety, and that gives them an edge.

9. Anonymous December 30, 2007 at 10:54 pm -  Reply

I like the idea, perhaps they should drop one of the other tandems from the line(one of the performance models) and bring this baby to life!

10. Limey December 31, 2007 at 11:40 am -  Reply

“Now that is one great application for the Coasting hub.”

I’m not sure. I think it would be frustrating (and potentially dangerous) to coordinate braking.

When one person wants to stop pedaling and apply the coaster brake, they will have to fight against the other person’s pedaling effort at first. I think confusion would result, especially considering the experience level of most Lime riders.

11. bikesgonewild January 1, 2008 at 2:44 am -  Reply

…at the right price point, i’d bet they’d sell more of these than all their other tandem’s combined…i think darren nailed it, culturally…fritz, ron, a few others made some good points…

…& limey, there were coaster brake tandems for years (’30’s,’40’s, ’50’s)…i think they really only disappeared w/ the advent of the late ’60’s & early ’70’s bike boom which was more about racing & performance bikes…

…looks like ‘kick(ed) back’ cruisin’ & coastin’ fun…beer runs w/ the boys, riding w/ a lady friend or out riding by yerself looking to pick up a babe, stokin’ & smokin’…

12. erik k January 9, 2008 at 6:22 pm -  Reply

umm.. i wonder how the automatic shifting would be affected by changes in power output as two people inevitably don’t always provide the same amount of force, such as one person may start pedaling hard and momentarily accelerate the bike causing the up shift, which could leave the other rider, if they were weaker struggling to pedal. I also believe a coaster brake would be inadequate for this application a front brake should be added to allow for the stooping power of a potently very heavy load of two average americans