Summer pedals

Uncategorized 6

Yeah, I know it is not summer anymore, but I am heading down to the beach for a few days and it is still nice and warm on the gulf coast. While I am down there, I might have to try out this trick that I spotted on Pan-Dan. All I have to do is mount Ritchey MTB cleats to a couple of sponges and I will be ready for a few days of barefoot riding on my singlespeed mountain bike (Before anyone tells me, I know it is easier to just use zip ties, but I like the mental image of a big yellow sponge with a bike cleat on one side).

I spotted a few other bike posts on various design sites this week. The Veloxx bike from German designer Torten Heinrich was featured on Design Spotter. Swissmiss posted a picture of the aluminum rear suspension Like-A-Bike jumper. Lastly, I saw these pictures, which speak for themselves, on Inspireme.

Well, I’m off. I’ll be back sometime next week.

About the author /

James Thomas

1. Fritz October 23, 2006 at 6:31 pm -  Reply

What a *cool* idea!!!!

My son and I went on a mountain bike ride along the beach this last weekend (along with my son’s boy scout troop). Photos here.

2. Olivier Blanchard October 24, 2006 at 7:30 pm -  Reply

That’s a really coo idea. I wonder if people would look at me funny if I did this to my pedals next time I attend a spin class. (Don’tlaugh. They can be pretty hard core.) ;D

3. James October 25, 2006 at 12:02 pm -  Reply

Olivier, you won’t catch me laughing. Spin class is definitely better than my off-season training plan, which really just involves drinking plenty of dark beer. Of course, I’ll also break out the cross bike or mountain bike from time to time when the weather turns cold. Besides oatmeal stout and cyclocross go hand in hand, right?

OK, I won’t give up on the road bike either. See you Saturday if you make it to the group ride

4. James October 25, 2006 at 12:04 pm -  Reply

Nice photos Fritz. I bet those N. Cali beaches are cold this time of year.

5. robodobo November 8, 2006 at 7:25 pm -  Reply

How would the screws stay in the sponge, unless you used a more solid substrate?

6. James November 9, 2006 at 12:50 pm -  Reply

Can’t slip anything by you Robo. You would need a rigid base substrate to fasten a cleat to. Maybe you could cut it out in the shape of a foot kind of like those “keep on truckin’” gas pedals from the 70′s.