Home-made carbon fiber bikes

Miscellaneous 7 19

Many of you have probably already seen Damon Rinard’s now classic article about his experience building a carbon fiber bike in his garage. It was originally posted close to ten years ago and is currently archived on Sheldon Brown’s site (if any of you are not familiar with Sheldon’s site, it is a great place to explore). The rest of Rinard’s tech pages are archived as well. Check them out; these really are a great resource.

Inspired by Rinard’ experience, Brano Meres has made a couple of frames and a few carbon components of his own design. The first frame looks great and his build process is well documented. Check out how he made the first carbon frame. His second frame, a bamboo carbon mix, is worth a look too. Cool stuff Brano! Keep up the good work.

I probably won’t get a chance to post again until next week. Have a great Thanksgiving and don’t forget to get in a ride after the big meal.

1. Tim Jackson- Masi Guy November 22, 2005 at 12:47 pm -  Reply

Damon is an old friend of mine from when he was living in San Diego. Talk about a smart guy… holy crap!

He built some beautiful steel frames too. The guy is a genius. I lost contact with him after I left the team we both rode for and then he went to Trek. I heard he had something to do with the Bontrager wheels and then now I see he is involved with the carbon frames. Trek has a very valuable asset in Damon. I envy them… big time.

2. James November 22, 2005 at 1:07 pm -  Reply

Very cool. I noticed his name in the article I posted yesterday about the Trek time trial bike. That is what reminded me of his old articles and prompted me to post about home-made carbon bikes today. You can tell from his writing that he is a really smart guy. I encourage everyone to read those tech articles.

3. Fritz November 23, 2005 at 3:05 am -  Reply

Wow!

4. Zade Faraj September 6, 2007 at 8:15 pm -  Reply

Very impressive. I like how organized and clean you made it look. I am contemplating creating my own carbon fiber frame. I have a small amount of experience using fiberglass. I had a few questions if you wouldn’t mind answering.

Cheers!

Zade

5. carbon Fiber bike frames December 20, 2009 at 12:15 pm -  Reply

Damon is a serious guy with some serious time on his hands.

Carbon fiber is a great material to ride and work with, but unless you are Mr Triathalon, it is not really worth the extra outlay.

Stick with a metal frame!

6. Eli Wexler April 21, 2010 at 2:20 pm -  Reply

Looking for a hook up to the guys involved with the Black Hole; have developed some ideas for quick release black hole wheels along with aero controls on the fly.